WELCOME TO THE GITCHE GUMEE MUSEUM WEB PAGE!
It has been a while since I updated the Agatelady.com webpage. For this, I apologize. I must admit that once I was done with my shows last fall, I started working on the new book. I did almost nothing else until the Christmas holidays. After the holidays, I had to finish my tax preparation. Then I left to drive out west to purchase product at the Tucson Gem and Mineral Show. During my 6,125 miles of driving I also made stops at Palo Duro State Park (TX, southeast of Amarillo), Ojo Caliente Hot Mineral Springs (New Mexico), Albuquerque Gem and Mineral Club (I gave an agate talk), Carlsbad Caverns (first time), Saguaro National Park, Grand Canyon, Antelope Canyon (both upper and lower; first time), and Denver. I also visited with both my sons and my grandchildren. What a trip. For a sampling of my photos please click on the link for Rockhounding and Adventure Trips. Photos were also posted on my blog at www.agatelady.blogspot.com. Click on February 2017 (left column) to gain access to the photos.
This week I finished my newest book and sent the files off to the printer. I should get the printed copies back in about eight weeks. I very much enjoyed working on this book, which is called Rocks Through Time -- Book One: Geologic Stories of Nine Stones. It is my first hard cover and will be ten inches wide and eight inches tall. The retail price will be $17.95 (not including s/h or sales tax). Since I am so results oriented, it is always a great day when I succeed in finishing a project. The age range for this book is five through adult. This is the first book in a series intended to entertain and teach about the amazing geologic wonders of our planet. The series uses an engaging poetic narrative along with innovative graphics to simultaneously teach and inspire. Book One tells the history of Earth through the geologic stories of nine stones. Additional information is included about the evolution of rocks, the rock cycle, and the characteristics of rocks (igneous, sedimentary, and metamorphic), as well as a glossary. Photos of the covers as well as a couple of the internal pages are included below. I have decided to take advance orders for the book that will be available for shipment by sometime in May. If you are interested in placing an advance order, please go to online gift shop. Once I get the books from the printer, I will immediately mail out the advance orders.
Now that I have completed work on the Rocks Through Time book, I am setting aside hours to work on this webpage update. For the rest of the winter I plan on making mineral art. There have been many years I planned on making a summer’s worth of mineral art over the winter so I don’t have to burn the midnight oil making art all summer long. So far I have not been successful since I usually end up working on longer and more involved books and other projects. This year I WILL BE SUCCESSFUL. This inventory of art, made in advance, will allow me to have time this summer to do other things. I don’t mind working seven days a week, but I just refuse to continue working 12-17 hours per day. On Tuesdays this summer I am also changing the hours the museum is open. I will still be open seven days a week, but on Tuesdays the hours will be 6:00 to 8:00 p.m in the evening. Having one day a week to schedule doctor appointments, car repairs, or other things will make my life a lot more “normal.”
Gitche Gumee Museum
E21739 Brazel Street, PO Box 308
Grand Marais, MI 49839
- kbrzys@Jamadots.com or Karen@agatelady.com
- BLOG: www.agatelady.blogspot.com
- PERSONAL FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/karen.brzys
- MUSEUM FACEBOOK PAGE: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Gitche-Gumee-Agate-and-History-Museum
- 906-494-2590 Home and Art Studio Number
- 906-494-3000 Museum (do not maintain this phone during the winter months)
- 906-450-5033 (Cell phone -- not always turned on. I use it only when I travel.)
Gitche Gumee Museum Hours
Note: Beginning in 2017 the museum will be open seven days a week from the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend until the end of September, but on Tuesdays it will only be open in the evenings from 6pm to 8pm.
|End of May*||2-5pm||6-8pm||2-5pm||2-5pm||2-5pm||12-5pm||2-5pm|
* At the end of May the museum opens the Sunday of Memorial Day weekend.
I will plan on having the museum ready for appointments by mid-May each year, so if you would like to set up an appointment please email me at Karen@agatelady.com, or call me at 906-494-2590. It is best to set up appointments in advance in case I am busy or out of town. I try to accommodate impromptu appointments, but this is not always possible. For private appointments, I ask for a donation or purchase that is commensurate with the time required for the museum visit.
Art and Mineral Show and Agate Talk Schedule
As many of you know, I have decided to simplify my life. One way of doing this is to significantly reduce the number of shows and talks. The top year I exhibited my art at 22 different events. In 2017 I plan on having a booth at only two events. If the Muskallonge Rock On agate show happens in Deer Park (located 20 miles east of Grand Marais), I will give at least one talk, but I will not have a booth. I may also schedule other talks, but they will not take place during the summer (June-September). My show/talk schedule as of this update is below.
- May 6-7, 2017 – 15th Annual Cuyuna Agate & Mineral Show
- 2000 SE 13th St, Crow Wing County Fairgrounds, Brainerd, MN. Event hours are 9-5 on Saturday and 10-4 on Sunday. The show includes over 50 inside and outside vendors, exhibits, demonstrations, displays, rock cutting, silent auctions, great concessions, and more. Admission is $1.00 donation. For more information contact Sharon Smith, 218-343-7037, or email her at Sharon@agatesrock.com.
- Mid-September 2017 -- Possible AGATELADY TALKS
- NOTE: Due to a major electrical issue at the state park, the show was cancelled last year. It has not yet been determined if the show will be held in 2017. Located at 30042 County Road 407 in Deer Park, MI half way between Newberry and Grand Marais,. For more information please call 906-658-3338. Information about previous year’s shows is available at: http://www.superiortrails.com/rock-agate-festival.html#fest.
- October 20-22, 2017 EXHIBIT BOOTH – 52nd Annual Central Michigan Lapidary & Mineral Society Show
- Main Arena, Ingham County Fairgrounds, 700 E. Ash Street, Mason, MI 48854. Event hours are Friday 6:00 to 9:00, Saturday 10:00 to 6:00, and Sunday 11:00 to 5:00. Show includes vendors, exhibits, crafts, art, jewelry, demonstrations, displays, flint knappers, rock identification, kids’ activities, free prizes for kids, door prizes, rock cutting, and more, For more information (once it is available) please go to http://www.michrocks.org/annual-show/show-info.html.
March 2017 Update
Mineral of the Month
History’s Gem of the Month
Logging Era Photos
On-line Gift Shop
Advance orders for new book:
Rocks through Time--Geologic Stories of Nine Rocks
Gitche Gumee Gatherings
scheduling private, in-home private art shows
Rockhounding and Adventure Trip
Out West Trip 2017
New testimonial from Rockhounding/Agate Class participants
Copyright All rights reserved.
Gitche Gumee Museum.
E21739 Brazel Street
Grand Marais, Michigan 49839